Copyright (c) 2021 International Journal of Horticultural Science
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
How To Cite
A field experiment was conducted at Dormaa Ahenkro, Ghana, to determine the impact of inorganic and organic fertilizers on the growth and yield of cabbage. The experiment was laid in a randomized complete block design with three replications. The experiment treatment comprises of sole application of poultry manure (PM), NPK 15:15:5, the combined application of poultry manure and NPK fertilizer (PM+NPK) and the control (no fertilizer). Data was collected on the number of leaves, stem girth, plant height, head diameter, head weight and edible head weight. There was a significant difference (P<0.05) among all the treatments. The combined application of PM+NPK recorded the highest values for all the parameters measured. From the results obtained farmers should consider the combined application of PM and NPK to maximize yield on their farm.
- Appiah, G. F. (2015): Effect of poultry and inorganic manure (NPK 15: 15: 15) on growth, yield and shelf life of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) (Doctoral dissertation).
- Dumičić, G., Díaz-Pérez, J. C., Sidhu, H. S., Urlić, B., Ban, S. G., MacLean, D., Workman, S. (2014): Kale (Brassica oleracea L. var. acephala DC) leaf water loss as affected by genotype and bagging. 49. hrvatski i 9. međunarodni simpozij agronoma, 16. do 21. veljače 2014, Dubrovnik, Hrvatska. Zbornik Radova. 305-309.
- Haque, A. (2012): Effect of Different Organic Manures on Growth and Yield of Cabbage. Master’s Thesis, Department of Horticulture, Patuakhali Science and Technology University (PSTU), Dumki, Patuakhali. Bangladesh 1-73.
- Kang, J. Y., Ibrahim, K. E., Juvik, J. A., Kim, D. H., Kang, W. J. (2006): Genetic and environmental variation of glucosinolate content in Chinese cabbage. HortScience, 41(6), 1382-1385. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI.41.6.1382
- Kedino, Z., Kanaujia, S. P., Singh, V. B., Singh, P. K. (2009): Effect of organic manures and biofertilizers on growth, yield, quality of cabbage (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) under foot hill condition of Nagaland. Environment and Ecology. 27(3): 1127-1129.
- Khadir, G. A., Marazat, S. K., Sadoun, S. A. (2002): Effect of different levels of urea fertilizers and plant spacing on growth and yield of cabbage. Dirasat 16: 88-105.
- Lešić, R., Borošić, J., Buturac, I., Herak Ćustić, M., Poljak, M., Romić, D. (2004): Povrćarstvo.
- Mebrahtu, M., Solomun, M. (2018): The Combined Effect of Organic and Inorganic Fertilizer on Yield and Yield Component of Cabbage (Brassica oleracea) at Dedebit Central Tigray, Ethiopia. Journal of Plant Science in Crop Protection. 1(2): 202.
- MoFA (2008): Ministry of Food and Agriculture. https//www.mofa.gov.gh
- Nagy, P. T. (2009): Gyümölcsösök tápanyag-gazdálkodásának időszerű kérdései. Debreceni Egyetem, Agrár-és Műszaki Tudományok Centruma, Kutatási és Fejlesztési Intézet. 248. p.
- Ngegba, P. M., Kanneh, S. M., Quee, D. D. (2020): Assessment of different rates of NPK fertilizer on the growth and yield components of two exotic okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.) western urban of Sierra Leone. International Journal of Horticultural Science. 26. 55-59. https://doi.org/10.31421/IJHS/26/2020/5439
- Nieuwhof, M. (1969): Cole crops. Cole crops.
- Prasithikhet, J., Mongkolporn, P., Sritanan, V., Sonmuang, P. (1993): Use of organic and inorganic fertilizers in farmers’ rice fields in the Northeast. Soil Management Abstracts. 5(2).1458.
- Ramesh, E., Sikder, S., Basfore, S. (2020): Bio-effectiveness of Sabuj Gold as organic manure on cabbage, cauliflower and French bean. Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 30-36. https://doi.org10.9734/CJAST/2020/ v39i2930954
- Santhoshkumar, M., Reddy, G. C., Sangwan, P. S. (2017): A review on organic farming-Sustainable agriculture development. International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioscience. 5(4): 1277-1282.
- Sharma, K. C. (2000): Influence of integrated nutrient management on yield and economics in broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var italica Plenck) under cold temperate conditions. Vegetable Science. 27(1): 62-63.
- Stockdale, E. A., Watson, C. A. (2009): Biological indicators of soil quality in organic farming systems. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 24(4): 308-318. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170509990172
- Sumaila, I. (2019): Organic manure and inorganic fertilizer effect on the growth and yield of cabbage (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) and incidence of insect pest in the forest transition zone of Ghana (Doctoral dissertation, University of Education, Winneba).
- Tandon, H. L. S. (1995): Major nutritional constraints to crop production and the soil fertility management strategies in different agroclimatic regions of Asia. Basel, Switzerland: International Potash Institute (43-72).
- Timsina, J. (2018): Can organic sources of nutrients increase crop yields to meet global food demand? Agronomy. 8(10): 214.