Béla Szentpéteri Kun, Professor of Church Law, the Rector Magnificus of the Hungarian RoyalIstván Tisza University of Debrecen During the Academic Year 1930/1931. In the first three decades of its existence the head of the university’s faculty of jurisprudence and state law was the renowned scholarof law and
... the outstanding organizer Béla Szentpéteri Kun. Previously he had been professor of the Protestant College’s academy of law, then one of the respected figures of the newly organized Faculty of Law. He served as dean for several semesters and in the 1930/1931 academic year he was elevated to the position ofrector of the university. During the war years of 1944/1945 he was the only professor of law to stay in Debrecen and it was due to him that the Faculty of Law was capable of functioning uninterrupted. After thewar he was made to retire, then, as a manifestation of the social transformation of the times, his department was dismantled.
Ede Neuber, Professor of Dermatology, the Rector Magnificus of the Hungarian Royal István Tisza University of Debrecen during the Academic Year 1931/32. Professor Ede Neuber was the organizer and first director of the Clinic of Dermatology and Sexual Pathology, and nationally, it was he who firstorganized the he
...alth supervision of university students. Again, he took part in spearheading the campaign against venereal diseases also through curtailing epidemic diseases by means of creating a law (lex veneris). In the 1931–1932 academic year he was Rector of Debrecen’s István Tisza University. During his rectorship,the Main Building of the University was completed and inaugurated, and the university took over the city’s public hospital for the purposes of training and practice. From 1936 through 1938 he represented theuniversity in the upper house. In 1938 he was appointed principal professor of the clinic of dermatology of Budapest’s Péter Pázmány University, so he left Debrecen.
The study-tours of students and teachers from the Technical University of Budapest 1899–1914. The Technical University of Budapest was a young institution by the end of the 19th century. It was officially founded in 1871, even though it had appeared in some forms from the 1840s. The Hungarian technicalschools l
...ooked to copy the German model. To accomplish this they needed information about this type of higher education. Through studying the historical records it is possible to detect several forms of informationcollection,which can be seen as forms of communication. The Technical University of Budapest used to ask the German Technical Colleges and Universities about different matters in letter-form. Another form of this communication was the arranging of excursions to the partner-universities. Next, we can mention the doctor „honoris causa” awards, and furthermore the membership of Hungarian professors in German scientific academies or societies. And lastly are the study tours of students and teachers to mention. The visits by Hungarian students and professors from the Technical University of Budapest to European destinations were analysed, the purpose of which was to gather experience. It was a good period for such visits: the Hungarian government supported the studies, the part-time studies and the study-tours of Hungarian students and professors abroad. These studies usually involved the visit of factories, public institutions and scientific institutes. The students of the Technical University showed active participation in these projects. The main destination of these tours was Germany, sometimes as part of a complex Central-European journey. The participants applied for a scholarship, granted usually by the Ministry for Education and Religion. It is worth seeing the method of applying for scholarships, the rules for the finances and the final reports on record. In the study these parts of the procedure are shown and the aim of these efforts is also highlighted: to benefit the Hungarian industry and transportation.
The foundation history of the Stomatology Clinic in Debrecen. The Hungarian Royal University was opened in the autumn of 1914 and the Medical Faculty was formed in 1918. Already in 1921 the Medical Faculty has applied for the establishment of a Stomatology Clinic from the government, but mainly becauseof financia
...l reasons the request was turned aside. In the upcoming years the request was repeated several times, without any success. Finally the Medical Faculty has established the Stomatology Polyclinic in theEast Wing of the Surgical Clinic, which was opened in 15. February 1935. András Csilléry a dentist of Budapest the former Minister of Public Health and Welfare was called for leader in professional lecturer’s position. In the autumn of 1935 the undergraduate studies begun. In September of 1936 was a new surgeryopened to treat the students in the main building of the university. In January of 1937 the school dental care was launched. In the summer of 1940 Csilléry was named university professor and he was elected as headof the Stomatology Clinic, placed in to the East Wing of the Ophthalmic Clinic of the ceremonial event on 30 November 1940.
Teaching Hungarian and Hungarian Culture at the Universities of Finland. Hungarian language instruction in Finland – similarly to the teaching of Finnish in Hungary – has a tradition going back 150 years. The languages’ reciprocal teaching arose from an idea, according to which Finnish and Hungarianare rela
...ted languages. The first professor of the Finnish language and literature started to work in 1851 at the University of Helsinki. The teaching of Hungarian has been in the repertoire almost from the beginning. Speakers of Finnish didthis job until the position of the Hungarian lector was established in 1925. In the early 1980s a Hungarian visiting professor’s status was set up, and in 1985 they started to teach Hungarian as a minor, from 1990 as a major and from 1999 as a specialization part of the Finno-Ugric Studies. Since 2008, when the Bolognastructure was introduced, the teaching of the language has continued on two levels: bachelor and master’s. Initially at the University of Turku (founded in 1920) Finnish-speaker external lecturers have taughtHungarian. In 1966 a resident native speaker began work at the university. At first Hungarian language was part of the Finno-Ugric Studies. This situation changed in 1986 when an independent Hungarianlanguage and culture major was established. Initially this scheme worked only on the basic level, in 2002 this structure was enlarged to encompass the intermediate level too. At the University of Jyväskylä the training program has developed in a different way, not as the part of theFinno-Ugric Studies. From the 1930s Hungarian linguistics has been taught in summer school courses. The regular teaching began in 1968. The status of the lector was established in 1975. 1989 was a turning point for the Hungarian teaching in Jyväskylä, because in this year the hungarology program was jointly created by the cooperation of six university departments. This program worked for two decades. Currently theteaching on the undergraduate level has been discontinued, but the Hungarology PhD School is prospering. The educational materials for the Finns are at the forefront of the Hungarian language textbooks for foreigners. Since the 1960s most of the lectors who have worked in Finland made not just Hungarian but Finnishtextbooks as well, including dictionaries and other educational materials.
The History of the Hungarian Chair at the University of Rome. The first Chair of Hungarian Literature and Language in Italy was established at the University of Rome La Sapienza in 1930. At first, the chairmen of the position were the professional directors of the Hungarian Academy in Rome. Between the twoworld w
...ars Hungarian was also taught in Bologna, Firenze, Milano, Napoli and Padova. Since 1965 in Padova and in Rome Hungarian visiting professors were teaching: in Rome János Balázs, József Szauder and Tibor Klaniczay academics, afterwards Péter Sárközy from 1979 to 2015. At the University of Romehas been founded in 1985 the Interuniversity Centre for Hungarian Studies, which publishes the „Rivista di Studi Ungheresi” (Hungarian Studies Review). Hungarian Literature and Language are taught nowadays in Italy at universities of Bologna, Firenze,Napoli, Padova, Roma and Udine.
An Arts Student from Debrecen at the International Conference in 1925. A conference was held by the World Student Christian Federation in Herkulesfürdő (Băile Herculane, Romania) in 1925. The University of Debrecen was represented by Margit Kis, an arts student in her second year. The conference was anexhilara
...ting experience to the young and enthusiastic lady; she even held a presentation about it to the Debrecen club of the Magyar Evangéliumi Keresztyén Diákszövetség (a Hungarian Christian Student Organization).It was the script of her presentation that she, as a retired teacher, inserted into her memoir a few decades later. We have selected the script of her presentation from her still-unpublished memoir to issue it in the columns of Gerundium. It provides us with valuable information about the main themes of the conference; it is the renewal of the methods of Evangelization the author tells us about the most.
The Official Communication of Ministerial Counsellor Zoltán Magyary to the István Tisza University about the New System of the Collection of the Students’ Statistical Datas. In the autumn of 1929 Zoltán Magyary finished his famous memorandum to the Minister of Religion and Education Kuno Klebelsberg about the
... social care of the students of the universities. In this work Zoltán Magyary was urging to make a detailed statistical survey about the students of the universities in order to the government could take steps to solve their social problems. After this he began to work out those special questions which can gave the most important informations to the government. In the end of December in 1929 Magyary sent his official communication to the universities about the new system of statistical datas’ collection. The István Tisza University got very important instructions about the new way of the process of the collection. And this statistical survey was the basis of the famous statistical analysis of Laky Dezső (1930) which was the first detailed work about this. Magyary’s official communication is a very important historical source because this statistical collection system was being used to the end of this period. The evidence of it is the other published source, the official communication of József Asztalos which was sent to the university in 1939.
The Archontology of Lajos Kossuth University of Arts and Sciences (1950–1990), Part VIII: Institute of Slavic Philology. The Archontology of Kossuth University for the School of Arts, the School of Sciences, and for the So-Called „Central Units” between January 1, 1950, and December 31, 1990, wascompiled on
... the basis of the personal cards and personal files of the Personnel Department of the Rector’s Office, and the scantily documented section for the 1950s was supplemented from the annually arranged documentary material of the Personnel Office. Even so, however, the existing material fails to be complete.It is impossible to compile the archontology with perfect accuracy. Part VIII presents the complete list of the Institute of Slavic Philology from institute head to janitor.
Changes and New Developments after 2000 at Debrecen Summer School celebrating its 90th Anniversary. The author (currently acting as Managing Director of Debrecen Summer School) takes a subjective look at those changes and new developments which have expanded and enriched the traditional activitiesof this unique i
...nstitution since the end of the 20th century. Providing a brief summary of the decades before 2000 when DSS became an independent non-profit public company, the article intends to give an overview of some of the major steps taken by the former and current managements which seem to havestrengthened the position of the School in the field of promoting Hungarian language and culture. In addition to opening a new school in Budapest in 2002 and introducing special courses in the spring, autumnand winter, DSS has found various ways of cooperating with the University of Debrecen as well as offering semester courses on some of the so-called less widely used and learnt languages such as e.g. Czech, Norwegian,Romanian, Swedish or Turkish. One of the most extensive recent activities would include a wide range of international cooperation based on different kinds of European project applications such as Erasmus+ and the Visegrad Fund. The main aim of the article is to show that the 90-year-old institution is still a livingorganism which has always tried to live up to the expectations of the age in making Hungarian language and culture attractive to as many people as possible.
A centuries-old debt. The creation of the Hungarian Intellectuals’ Database (Repertorium Academicum Hungariae). Not school registers nor collections of archival sources were published about the Hungarian universities in the second half of the nineteenth and in the twentieth century. Similar books were publicised
... abroad much earlier about foreign institutions. Since Hungary has lost two third parts of its territory after the First World War the archival sources of these regions fell into foreign hands. Unfortunately, during the time of the Hungarian revolution in 1956 a few archival sources of the University Archives has also perished. Until nowadays we knew very little about students who were educated at universities or any other ecclesiastical or secular higher educational institutes. In 2013 the MTA-ELTE History of Universities Research Group was formed with the purpose of collecting and transforming into a database every available personal and educational information about every higher educational students from the beginning to 1850. The name of this future database will be Repertorium Academicum Hungariae. According to our current knowledge before 1850 there were 108 institutes in Hungary, Croatia and Transylvania which provided higher-level education than the intermediate level. We have already processed the two-thirds of the collected data and we are going to continue this task. The final database will be useable together with the completed database of the foreign-educated Hungarian students. The electronic database will be contain information about nearly 400,000 matriculated students and it will be unquestionably a useful scientific source for the nations of the Carpathian Basin.