The first clinic of urology was established in Budapest in 1920, with Géza Illyés serving as its first professor and chair. Urology has been an independent subject of study at the medical faculty of Péter Pázmány University and later at Semmelweis University since 1921. Illyés’ s activity was highly respected internationally, and by 1939 more than a 100 visitors came to the clinic from the USA and another 100 visitors came from other countries. After the World War II, owing to the outstanding professors and staff, the department still plays an important role in the development of urology in Europe. The clinic with its educational, scientific and clinical work still has an important role in the European urological map.